Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Cath day again

I had to go teach my class yesterday morning, so I was gone from the hospital for most of the day while Iggy came down and stayed with Magnus. When I got back, I was surprised to learn that our plan of waiting for the effusion to go away and then going to the cath lab had been discarded and that instead, he would be going in for a cath on Tuesday afternoon.

I was confused, but finally someone came and told me that this new plan was because the diuretics didn't seem to be having the desired effects on the effusion. This is concerning because it may be indicative of problems with his hemodynamics. That's why they are doing the cath today. However, it could also just be a consequence of his paralyzed diaphragm. They also said that although they were going to try to drain the fluid from his effusion with a needle that they might need to put in a chest tube, too.

He's supposed to go back to the cath lab at 2 p.m. Here's hoping for good news and no chest tube.

1 comment: