Saturday, July 25, 2009

Sorry to bother you, but...

It's always been a very hard thing for me to share my problems with other people and to ask others for help. Anecdotally, I used to sometimes tell people that this was rooted in the fact that when I was a kid and I used to ask my dad for help with homework, he would mock me in a high-pitched voice, saying "I can't do it! I'm just a girl!" Of course, that was my dad's way of encouraging me to be self-sufficient, and while that I am, I suspect that this is more of an innate personality trait than a result of his parenting techniques.

Anyway, that being said, I am now dumping the biggest problem I have ever had on a tremendous number of people. I sent the URL for this blog to a lot of people, including many with whom I have a relationship that I would characterize as primarily professional rather than personal. I even posted it on my Facebook account.

Going so public with this was not easy for me, but it was a calculated decision. Basically, my thinking was that even if I don't know you very well, if I think I might run into you a year from now, and you might innocently ask "how's the baby?" I think it's only fair to prepare you in advance for what might be the answer.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jen. My name is Shannon and I just read your email to the CA Heart Connection. My youngest daughter Carlie was born with Tricuspid Atresia (and a lot of other heart defects) which is also referred to as Hypoplastic Right Heart Syndrome. She was born in March 2006 and has all three surgeries (Norwood, Glenn and Fontan). She is a year and a half post-Fontan and is doing GREAT! I also keep a blog and on the side is a list of Carlie's Heart Friends and one family that I follow, little Joshua, is from the San Francisco area and their surgeon is Dr. Azakie. I know his mom would be more than willing to talk to you about UCSF and I believe that she is also part of a support group that deals with other heart families that are treated at UCSF. Please let me know if I can be of any help in answering any questions you might have...best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shannon! I wanted to e-mail you directly to thank you for your comment, but couldn't find a link on your blog. I am really glad to hear and see that Carlie is doing so well. I also found that link to Joshua's page through your blog, and it looks like he is thriving as well, and that the family is very happy with the care they have received at UCSF. I definitely look forward to having more contact with other parents of CHD, so thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there,
    I just read your email on the ca heart connection. my family was just up in the bay area at lpch in their cardio vascular intensive care unit. anyway, while we were there, I became friends with a wonderful woman named Andrea whose son had surgery by dr. azakie as well as another dear heart momma, jackie, whose daughter had surgery performed by dr. a. if you look at our blog roll, andrea's blog is Heart to Heart and jackie's blog is The Truhe Family. Please let me know if you have any trouble connecting with them. They are both such a great support.
    love,
    victoria
    www.momentswithmoriah.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. i have come across this family's blog, and their adorable son, owen, has hlhs.
    http://simmonsfamilyupdate.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete